Artist Georgy Kurasov
Leningrad, USSR, 1958
Georgy graduated from the Art School in 1976 with the highest grade in his class. Within a month he was admitted to the renowned Academy of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg to study sculpture, where, at eighteen, Georgy was more than ten years the junior of his classmates.While at the Academy, Georgy also excelled in painting, and procured a number of important commissions, to include an award-winning series of monuments located along the Helsinki - St. Petersburg Highway, a monument to a Russian artist killed during World War II, and a memorial statue of the famous Ukrainian poet, Taras Shevchenko, unveiled in 1981 in the central square of the Ukrainian city of Konotop. In 1982, he graduated with a Master of Fine Arts degree in Sculpture and Painting and was invited to join the exclusive Russian Union of Artists.